A look at what's happening in the Student Veteran world
This Veterans Day…Be Awesome Nov 10
I'm sure you've seen a barrage of messages in print, online, on television, and in social media concerning Veterans Day. Unfortunately, many of the messages have more to do with furniture sales and holiday discounts than anything more in line with the original intention for this...
Bipartisan Plan Will Give Students on GI Bill in STEM Fields More Flexibility Washington, D.C. - President/CEO of Student Veterans of America (SVA), D. Wayne Robinson, today released the following statement after Reps. David B. McKinley (R-WV) and Dina Titus (D-NV) reintroduced bipartisan legislation to help veterans get the education they need to thrive in the modern workforce:
SVA publicly stated its disappointment with comments made to the press last week regarding the GI Bill. In a statement to Stars and Stripes, a representative of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) incorrectly referred to the GI Bill as a "proverbial 'free lunch.' "...
NPR’s All Things Considered November 18 2013 – “Small, Private Colleges Woo Veterans With Scholarships” Nov 18
Many veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are taking advantage of the post-9/11 GI bill to pay for higher education. They often end up at large state schools or for-profit, online universities.
Thousands of military veterans are returning to California colleges this fall, eager to make use of federal education benefits....
- The Steven Spierer Show: William Ahmanson speaks with Steven about the Ahmanson Veteran Scholarship Initiative (AVSI) and the value of student veterans to private colleges and universities. Nov 23, 2013
- NPR’s All Things Considered November 18 2013 – “Small, Private Colleges Woo Veterans With Scholarships”
- The Osgood File. Charles Osgood discusses the AVSI with William H. Ahmanson – November 11th 2013
- William H. Ahmanson, President The Ahmanson Foundation with radio host BrianGreenberg WNJC Aug. 2013
- William H. Ahmanson, President The Ahmanson Foundation with radio host Shannon Devereaux Sanford WTBQ Aug 2013
- Today’s Student Veterans
Events & Updates
One of 25 select colleges and universities receiving funds to support returning troops, Otis College of Art and Design will host Post-9/11 GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon veterans for a meet and greet September 22, 2013. Los Angeles, CA, August 28, 2013 – Otis College of Art and Design is one of 25 select private schools chosen by The Ahmanson Foundation for the Ahmanson Veteran Scholarship Initiative (AVSI), a grant providing assistance to student veterans as they assimilate back into civilian life and work towards completing their education.
Today, the Department of Veterans Affairs, Defense, Education, and Justice, along with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission, launched a new online complaint system for veterans...
The Mission: Veterans go to college in Southern California